During the third trimester studying Game Art and Animation two of our main modules consist of creating a game character or creature in 3d. In order to have a successful outcome within this unit human anatomy must be explored through a series of ways the main one of these being life drawing. Having already done life drawing in the past I already had a small knowledge on the proportions needed to draw a human correctly. even with these skills though I still struggled in drawing humans in various poses. Therefore took this further within both class exercises but within my own time too.
I will be posting regular updates and progression videos on my life drawings skills as well as character design, concept and modelling. All of this along with my sources of inspiration and how I came up with the character/s.
Life Drawing Practice 1:
TechDoc17_03_17 Document Reviewing the process and methods used within recent project on environment design.
Turn Around of the library building:
Single Shot Renders:
This is the final composition for what is titled ‘Project Sloth’ the inspiration on the layout was taken from Bone Temple as mentioned in a previous post. Although I was planning on adjusting the layout to a new temple as well as discussing this with the group it came to a decision that this would be the more appropriate image. Furthermore the textures, values and overall feeling of the image was a lot stronger than other layouts tried with one example being;
Although the rule of thirds is evident within both and very similar in the placement of the main image I could not get the idea across of steampunk. Furthermore this would have been more awkward within the group as their objects could not be placed accordingly.
Before editing the layout of the composition one more cave piece was tested, unfortunately I could not record this piece however I have a series of progression pictures of each individual layer.
The first layer composed of a rough sketch line art where a basic idea was created. Further more rough ideas of highlights and the direction the light entered the cave at.
Then next step was blocking out the colours using pen pressure and a chalk brush this way the colours blended together more easily. For this step a class mate helped me in the methods and how to develop a more professional finish.
This is how the cave appeared after the image was blocked out along with the specular light and radial light being evident. In parts the light reflected i added in a slightly more saturated value creating a lower light space. The next step involved adding increasing more detail.
This is where a higher opacity brush was used however this was later lowered to blend in with the under layer. The final step was to include in more foliage and detail within the image to finalise the composition.
This is the final composition I believe the level of detail is successful as well as the various tonal values. I also believe that a little more story and 3d aspect is identifiable within the final image.
Nearing the end of the project my group and I started changing around the composition of the final image to account for everyone’s placement and roles for the conceptual piece. After creating numerous layout one issue we came across was that the flat image was too boring and never told a story therefore I changed the composition. However, again this was then discussed as a group and it was decided that a cave would not account for the placement of a city, robot dinosaur, airship and character. Furthermore the cave did not come across as steampunk enough which was our decided theme.
In order to fix this aspect I researched into different composition method such as the rule of thirds and then started applying this to my layout along with two point perspective. I also found a previously worked on digital piece however could not find the artist that cohered with the finished piece. I found this through YouTube channel Adrien Von Ziegler a composer who specialises in Fantasy and Celtic music.
Of course the elements within this are not steampunk which could then be adapted to the project being carried out. However the layout is more appropriate to what we needed. Furthermore this would be a greater image to get across the notion of Dystopia.
After more discussion with the group we finally decided that this was more suitable for us all including the placement of each individual component.
Within the work being produced titled “Project sloth” numerous references and research was carried out and looked upon. More so focusing around artist research and on a base level what is steampunk? During the beginning half of practical assignment a presentation had to be completed where artist and previous works where displayed alongside inspiration from other games was gathered together and discussed. That presentation can be found below.
Some of the information given within the presentation such as the team members and roles has now changed since then. Other factors that have changed alongside the team members was the composition and creature design. To an extent it was difficult to work around the changes and to account for the new layout and theme. Furthermore, merging the different art styles together and creating what appeared to be a coherent way of working. A lot of the methods and tools used to create the work varied although because of communication and feedback among the other team members it was brought together in a successful manner.