Final Cave Composition.

Before editing the layout of the composition one more cave piece was tested, unfortunately I could not record this piece however I have a series of progression pictures of each individual layer.

The first layer composed of a rough sketch line art where a basic idea was created. Further more  rough ideas of highlights and the direction the light entered the cave at.

compo2-light

Then next step was blocking out the colours using pen pressure and a chalk brush this way the colours blended together more easily. For this step a class mate helped me in the methods and how to develop a more professional finish.

compo2-block-shading

This is how the cave appeared after the image was blocked out along with the specular light and radial light being evident. In parts the light reflected i added in a slightly more saturated value creating a lower light space. The next step involved adding increasing more detail.

compo2-less-detail

This is where a higher opacity brush was used however this was later lowered to blend in with the under layer. The final step was to include in more foliage and detail within the image to finalise the composition.

compo2-no-lines

This is the final composition I believe the level of detail is successful as well as the various tonal values. I also believe that a little more story and 3d aspect is identifiable within the final image.

Testing New Composition

Instead of having a flat image for the conceptual piece and it not telling much of the story I started playing around with the idea of a new composition. Mainly looking at caves and distant buildings to represent a city rather than an open desert.  I feel as though the result of this piece was a lot stronger than any previous pieces because of the more defined values within the rocks however due to not using the right opacity or pen pressure the result was too blocked out and not enough detail. I somewhat adjusted this through the use of a filter although when working on the next expansion to this composition I will be fixing this through having pen pressure set. Another factor this would improve would be the blending of colours.