Architectural Studies

quiggins

Due to the theme of the project steampunk I thought it would be coherent to look into Victorian architecture starting with a simple technical study of a band stand. Wanting to achieve correct proportions within the piece I used a ruler to line up with the reference image and drawing. However, even within doing this I found the end result to have been too elongated when in comparison to the original.  The proportions of the band stand is an aspect I would like to work on within developing my drawing skills.

pink-building

The above image was intended to be a quick study without paying too much attention to the proportions and scale I attempted to capture the shape of the building. For an illustrative affect I started going over where I believed the strongest features of the building to be I used a Pentel sign pen for this however, once completed I felt the image was too plain and needed a base colour to this would also be useful when transferring digitally. I wanted to create a soft warm feeling as though within a desert and without being too vibrant within the base tone therefore used the light pink. As the image stands I find that it would be suited to fill in a skyline or cliff side, this is something I will be exploring when creating thumbnails and finalised concept sketches.

img020

Following on again with the illustrative style I started exploring local architecture that felt suited to the time period. First studying the town hall in a loose manner I briefly sketched out the image not taking much care when working on the proportions.  Once again this is something I would like to expand on. I used the Pentel sign pen within a few of these pieces not only because of the bold end result but also due to the scanner picking up the lines with a higher resolution making the images easily transferable when converting to digital drawings.

img019

The next building I looked at within local architecture was the glass house. Throughout this drawing I wanted to show the rendering of glass therefore included the reflection and light through a series of thin weighted lines.  When showing the structure and frame of the building I used a heavier line weight more so around the edge which I feel brought together the finalised drawing more so than if I was to leave the line weight the same as the internal structure.

img015img014The two images on the left here are once again of local architecture, now with the top half of the building being unused plants have began growing from the top. The reference image I have gone off for this however was of an older date therefore did not capture the abandoned feeling from the building. Starting with the coloured piece in which I used watercolours on, for this I wanted to go for a semi realistic look however still aiming for the illustrative style. Very little detail is added within this piece which is something I would possibly like to focus on more within the digital part of the project the reason I never added much detail within the hand drawn part was to prevent it being too difficult to find the defined lines when repeating in a technical drawing.  I still feel as though it was somewhat difficult  to find the correct lines because of the colour. Because of this I believe it is evident that some aspects of the building are missing or not the correct scale when compared to other parts.  This can easily be fixed within Photoshop therefore I will be taking this method when drawing out the architectural elements of the piece.

building

The final technical drawing from the local architecture I believe is the most successful, taking in aspects that could have been improved on in past pieces. Although the proportion could still do with some work I find it still molds in nicely with other elements across the building. For the background I used a cool grey 4 ProMarker this was applied after the initial sketch because I didn’t want to bleed the inks from the Pentel sign pen.  The scale of this piece is A5 and because of this I found it increasingly difficult to achieve the details I would have liked, to compensate for this next time a thinner pen could be used.  Wanting to achieve the correct perspective I used a ruler and marker out the guidelines within a white gel pen, sticking to a one point perspective across the piece.

Traditional Media Portfolio